Saturday, March 29, 2014

No Warranty.




I was on my way to a meeting with the school leaders, when I heard the news blazing from every tongue: ‘He’s under the tree!’

We didn’t know the details, nor did we need to. It was enough to know that our friend and fellow staff member was in trouble. Big trouble.

I’d just seen him that morning, in the office. He laughed as I joked with a friend.

The next time I saw him, was minutes after a sizable tree had hit him.

Later, as they gently loaded him in the airborne Medevac unit, I couldn’t help thinking solemn thoughts…

I wonder if I’d like to look my life square in the face if today were my last?

Life is fragile. We have no warranty on this thing called living. Only one chance at it…

What will we do with that chance?

Who am I to act as though my life is as sure to me as the sunrise to the day?

I must face the facts: it is not.

Honestly, I am asking myself some serious questions.

Am I planning to live for Christ someday, or am I doing it today?

What if  “someday” never comes?

I’m tired of talking. I’m tired of planning. I don’t want to do something “someday.” “Someday” is today. “When I have time” needs to be now. No more excuses.

I don’t want to be an un-prepared servant, ashamed at my procrastinating laziness.

I want to be like Jesus.

Today.

(because it’s all we have, anyway.)




(By the way, our friend is much better now, only suffering minor back injuries. Keep him in your prayers…)

No comments:

Post a Comment