Sunday, August 29, 2010

A word in due season...

(Pr. 15:23)This last Sabbath evening, I was thinking about something that affects almost every person on the planet. Would you like to know what that is? Speech. Everyone has been affected, at least some time in their lives, by their own speech, or the speech of others. How often have you witnessed the affects of speech, in your own life, or the life of others? I guess I should be more specific. For example: Your friend walks up to you, and tells you in detail about some thing they have been through, or some victory in their lives, etc., and you just kind of say, 'Oh.' Do you think that 'Just made their day?'
This can also extend to looks! I mean expressions. For instance: If I was to walk into my local grocery store, finish my shopping, and when I get to the register, the cashier is just plain rude, or maybe just stale. At this point, I need to do some thinking, and I have a few choices. I can chose to be sarcastic and rude myself; or I could just say to myself, 'I can't help them, it's not my problem;' or could I think, maybe this person needs Christ?! If we knew how many people we came in contact with, that may not be the greatest to be around, that may be about to commit suicide, or on the verge of something terrible, would we treat them different? The fact is, we cannot know! So, we should treat all people as we would like to be treated under any circumstances! Or, better yet, as Jesus would treat them! I know personally, in my life, that it has been Jesus shining through in others, that has kept me going, or kept me on the right path. That can only come through speech, expressions, etc. In James 3:8, we read: “But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.” Are we like that? I will have to shamefully confess, I have many times been a living version of that verse! But I don't have to stay that way! I want to be more like the man described in this verse: “A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!” (Proverbs 15:23). Will you join with me in asking Christ for the power to speak as He would have us to? Souls are in the balance! May we all follow Christ, through the power of His grace!
Your brother in Christ,
-Schane

No comments:

Post a Comment