Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Greatest want. In the whole wide world.

I guess I decided to post something, finally, that is actually in line with the title to this blog.

In all seriousness, I think that maybe this is one of the biggest little issues that we face as Christians today, and it is the cause of no small trembling in my heart.

It's the home.

Not the church, not the world, not those foreign lands I spend much of my waking hours dreaming of reaching...

No, I'm cutting to the quick of my own soul, and taking a serious look at my life, and the course it must take to be a useful one.

There is a greatest want. It is this:

“The greatest want of the world is the want of men,--men who will not be bought or sold; men who in their inmost souls are true and honest; men who do not fear to call sin by its right name; men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole; men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
--Education, p. 57.

Let me interject, that this is not only for men, although it may especially apply to men. It is for every soul who call themselves Christians.

It takes no genius to see that the world is lacking in such characters.

And who am I to think that I can easily escape that?

Filling that greatest want will not happen by chance.

Also.

“A well-ordered family is one of the best testimonies we can present to the world of the value of our religion. This living testimony has more weight than sermons and professions.”
--RH, March 1, 1892.

The Lord is challenging me. It is no light challenge. Maybe He is challenging you. Will you take the challenge, by His grace?

It is no easy thing to fill that greatest want. Think not that it will be without a struggle to gain ground where others have fallen. Presenting that living testimony that is better than sermons & professions will not happen by chance.

But I want to do it. No matter the cost.


And then those other fields of labor will be nothing but paper giants, when we have once conquered the real giant: self. May it be true for us. 

Today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment