Saturday, August 25, 2012

Meet me there...




Wow. This blog has been one of the most neglected around, I'm afraid...
I've been so busy! So many wonderful things are happening, it seems. There are a lot of things to be excited about. And a few shadows, as well. But on to what I'm going to write about...
I have been thinking about some of the terrible things that have been happening, here in my country. Horrifying shootings. Death. Destruction of life, as though it had no value...
And I'll tell you what I was going to write about. I was going to write about the things we look at, watch, listen to, wear, eat, and do, that are numbing us to what's going on around us, and maybe even preparing us to follow in the footsteps of these poor, decieved people...
But that's not what I'm going to write about, friends...
You see, I could write about how we fall short of perfection, all day! And it wouldn't do anyone a stitch of good. Why? Because we can't do it! We can't be perfect! I know. You're sitting there, staring at your screen, and about to close this page because you think I've finally lost it. Well, maybe I have...
I'll repeat that: WE can't be perfect.

But He is.

And so, let's talk about Him.
I just want to draw your attention to the life of Christ. It's very simple, really. Oh yes, full of deeper meaning than humans will ever comprehend. But the principles are simple!
Christ did two main things. Here it is, in simple language:
" Behold the Son of God bowed in prayer to His Father! Though He is the Son of God, He strengthens His faith by prayer, and by communion with heaven gathers to Himself power to resist evil and to minister to the needs of men..."
--The Acts of the Apostles, p. 56.
" Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Saviour mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, "Follow Me."                                       --The Ministry of Healing, p. 143.
My friends, there you have it. Of course, there is a lot more. But the meat of it, is that Christ's life was full of two things: Connection, close, tender connection with His Father; and work. Loving, caring, soul-saving work.
I submit that we copy Him.
He is our example in all things! Do we spend the time with Him that we ought to? Is HE our best friend?
Are we working, out of true, Christian love, for our fellow citizens of earth?
" There is a great variety of work, adapted to different minds and varied capabilities. In the day of God not one will be excused for being shut up to his own selfish interests. And it is by working for others that you will keep your own souls alive."  (Emphasis supplied).
 --Historical Sketches, p. 182.

Do you want to overcome? Do you want to be saved at last in His Kingdom? I do. Let me tell you: the above quote would have made no sense to me, not long ago. Because I didn't want to understand it. I wanted my way. The "American dream". My friends, anything but God's way is a nightmare!!!
I am committing my life to service. I don't know where. Maybe Alaska, maybe Thailand, maybe somewhere else. I don't know.  But I am, by faith, going to put these quotes to the test. I won't have much for possessions. Or money. And all this is not only foreign to me, it can be scary! But, are we Christians, or not? A Christian is a follower of Christ. My heart is in tears when I think of this. I have not been a true, true follower of Him! I don't do what He did. But by His grace, I will. And I am pleading that you do the same, if you haven't already committed to Him.
I may not have lot's of time to write thse days. But I want to leave you with the challenge, to give Him all you have, all you are.
And you will never regret it! When we make it to His Kingdom, by His wondrous grace, I want to hear your stories. How the enemy was defeated, and how Christ worked in you, to pull our dear brothers and sisters out of the fires of sin!
Will you meet me there?
God bless and guide each of us, on our journey home!
Your brother in Christ,
-Schane
   

3 comments:

  1. PTL! The thoughts did me a lot of good, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We heard a message this Sabbath, about being confident in God's forgiveness. When we realize that we are not capable of living a perfect life, and we can't!, that is the time we can say to the devil, "Get behind me! I will claim Jesus' perfect life, because He lived it for me!"

    ReplyDelete