Thursday, November 28, 2013

My Thanksgiving & His.

It's really been a pretty average day. And I definitely had no thoughts of posting on Thanksgiving, like I have done several times now.



I really have to admit, I truly enjoy reading the posts of friends & family more than making my own versions, anyhow...

But somewhere, midway through my day, I had this thought that wouldn't go away.

You know, Thanksgiving is a day when we generally give thanks to God. (And so it should be.)

But I had this crazy thought...

Suppose Jesus was at our table on Thanksgiving. I know, it's not reality, but just imagine.

I wonder what might make Him thankful?

Not that He owes thanks to anyone. No, not that sort of thankfulness. It's very evident the only one who is owed any thankfulness is Himself.

No, I was thinking more of the kind of simple thankfulness that brings inner joy. That satisfaction that brings a smile to your face...

What might bring that?

Hmm.

And, to develop that further... is anyone bringing that to Him, today? Does November 28, 2013 have any place of warmth in the heart of my Savior, some scene that comes to mind, which can only bring a smile to Him?

What might that be?

As I sit & ponder, my mind goes over a verse. (don't know where it came from).

“For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

--Matthew 25:35-40.
I can't help but wonder if this could be one thing that would make Him thankful. Maybe?

And somehow I wonder if I made Him smile today. I don't really feel like it. I fed myself today. Quite a bit. (well, not over-much, but still...)

I don't think I was that hungry one He was talking about.

I put on some pretty nice clothes. I don't think I quite qualified as needy in that area, either.

I drank some pretty clean water. Actually, I had some other nice beverages, too. No problem. But I wonder if maybe the thirsty people He was talking about might have been someone else. Maybe someone who was really thirsty?

Prison? Well, not that one either. I live in a free country. Even hearing the Gospel is no problem, here. It's playing on the computer right now. Neither metal bars nor secret police will prevent that, here.

But what about the people who lack in all of the above? He says they're only an extension of Himself. Hurt them, and He'll hurt. Bless them, and He'll be blessed.

I think it's time I not only thank Him for the blessings He's given me. Maybe I'll try to give Him something to smile about this Thanksgiving.

And I think the first thing to give, is me. Everything else will only follow suit.



2 comments: